The Museum hosted a Marseilles Church History event June 10, 2018. Great stories and food were shared. Watch the videos below to hear a brief history of each church.
Bill Clark. This church began in 1930 in a tent, then moved to a hall above a cigar store.
Deacon Ron Wackerlin. St. Joseph's was first organized as a mission parish in 1862. The current church was build in 1951 on property donated by the Bolatto family.
Rosemary Martin provides a very entertaining history of this church, starting with its first pastor back in 1866.
Seattle Sutton starts the meeting with a train whistle.
Rev. Pastor Howard Buchholz. The history of this church goes back to 1890. For years this church shared a pastor with the Stavanger IL Lutheran church.
This church has 150 years of history, dating back to 1867. In 1890 they purchased their current property for $ 1. It was a swamp at the time.
Bryan Hefner reports their first building was built in 1931 at the corner of East Bluff & Indiana St. Ten years later they added a basement.
Pastor Colleen Lawrence reads a 1858 story describing Marseilles churches. And later stories of Marseilles church women banding together as the Women's Christian Temperance Union.